System hangs on display events.

Hi All,
	Apologies if there's too much detail here, but I want to include
any details which may be relevant.
	I recently converted my
Evesham Voyager 5500E (http://www.evesham.co.uk) laptop to Debian 3.0r1
(woody).
Previously I had been running SuSE 7.2 which worked fine until I upgraded
to kernel 2.4.18 (previously worked perfectly with 2.4.8 and 2.4.16) for
the ptrace exploit and had then become unstable. Having tested 'woody'
on a desktop first and gained some confidence/experience with Debian
I boldly installed from a minimum install CD. The installation was a
little tricky, as the framebuffer mode in the installer would cause my
display to go a worrying bright white colour. I hit upon the solution of
connecting an ilyama visionmaster  monitor to my laptop via serial port
and using this to install linux.
	This done things were simple, and once I chose the correct vga
mode (791) for my framebuffer device and used my old X11 config
file for guidance everything seemed great and was working on the LCD
display. However I soon stumbled upon a
problem. Removing the serial video cable caused a system freeze, with the
hard drive apparently no longer active, and the lcd display frozen. I
later found that this also occurs if I ever shut the lid of my laptop too.
Now, suspend and hibernate functions are disabled in the Phoenix BIOS in
my computer, previously with SuSE closing the lid would turn off the
screen, but not suspend the system and cause no problems at all.
	I see nothing in the system log (/var/log/messages) that hints as
to the problem. I have also tried in controlled tests and found that it
always happens, sometimes with unpleasantness for the HD. Incoming network
connections to the PC also freeze completely when the lid is shut.
	Shutting the lid etc. cause no problems on windoze 98 (also
installed).
	the video cards is a SiS630 here are the kernel modules generally
present:
ds                      6624   2
apm                     9148   2  (autoclean)
usb-storage            97152   0  (unused)
keybdev                 1664   0  (unused)
usbkbd                  2848   0  (unused)
input                   3072   0  [keybdev usbkbd]
usb-ohci               17472   0  (unused)
usbcore                48032   0  [usb-storage usbkbd usb-ohci]
trident                26944   2
ac97_codec              9568   0  [trident]
soundcore               3236   3  [trident]
ide-scsi                7488   0
i82365                 22416   2
pcmcia_core            41408   0  [ds i82365]
parport_pc             25704   1  (autoclean)
lp                      6912   0  (autoclean)
parport                21728   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]

and here is the output of uname -a
Linux wiracocha 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i686 unknown

This problem is liveable with, but I like to run remotely on my laptop
often , and would rather save the screen by leaving it off. Any help would
be greatly appreciated.
		Cheers,
			James

				James Ferrando