Re: 2.4.18-686 kernel, but no PCMCIA

  kim> On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 10:23:37AM -0400, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
  cc> try to edit /etc/defaults/pcmcia, remove the line PCIC=i82365
  cc> and add the line PCIC=yenta_socket.

  >> I tried that ... didn't make any difference ...

  kim> In the /etc/init.d/pcmcia script, there is some code that
  kim> replaces the value yenta_socket with i82365 in the PCIC
  kim> variable when the kernel version is 2.4.x. I have disabled this
  kim> override more than one notebook installations in which the
  kim> i82365 kernel module actually did not work while the
  kim> yenta_socket module worked just fine.

Thanks for the tip, Kim!  I was able to comment out the appropriate
lines in /etc/init.d/pcmcia.  That caused my PCMCIA board to be
recognized during startup.  And the expected modules show up using
'lsmod'.

Unfortunately, at first I still didn't have an 'eth0' device :-(
However, I made sure module "xircom_cb" was installed, and BINGO!

Though I haven't tried it yet on a real Ethernet, my *strong* hunch is
that I'm ready to "rock 'n roll"!

Thanks again for your help,

  -Kenneth

PS  I agree with you ... I wonder why the Debian folks put that
    override in /etc/init.d/pcmcia in the first place?