Re: 2.4.18-686 kernel, but no PCMCIA

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 10:23:37AM -0400, Kenneth Jacker wrote:
>   cc> try to edit /etc/defaults/pcmcia, remove the line PCIC=i82365
>   cc> and add the line PCIC=yenta_socket.
>
> I tried that ... didn't make any difference ...

In the /etc/init.d/pcmcia script, there is some code that replaces
the value yenta_socket with i82365 in the PCIC variable when the kernel
version is 2.4.x. I have disabled this override more than one notebook
installations in which the i82365 kernel module actually did not work
while the yenta_socket module worked just fine.

I don't have my notebook here right now, so I cannot give you the
precise code, but I remember that there is a comment reading
"yenta_socket -> i82365 on these systems" in the pcmcia startup
script.

Can anyone comment on why the script overrides the settings made in
the configuration file (i.e. /etc/default/pcmcia, I think)? I remember
that I found this behaviour rather irritating when I first encountered
it and figured it out.

Greetinx, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: kim@inb.uni-luebeck.de                          |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.inb.uni-luebeck.de/staff/kim.html    |