Re: apache

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 01:17:25AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> inetd does not kill the Apache process,

True, my bad...

> If Apache decides not to die then most (all?) inetd programs will happily
> allow it to do so.

>From the apache site:

	For each http connection received, a new copy of the server is started
	from scratch; after the connection is complete, this program exits.

So unfortunately, it does die after each connection. It may serve a number of
requests on that connection. i.e. with the keep-alive header. This process will
only handle requests from a a single host for a short period though. e.g.
images found on the same page. Perhaps a number of connections from the same
proxy might be handled by a single process.

Only serving a single connection makes sense to me, as otherwise it seems to
defeat the purpose of using inetd in the first place. In any event, I doubt the
apache authors are likely to make a semi-daemon-inetd (i.e. one that doesn't
immediatley die) version of apache. If you want a daemon, run it as one.

Cheers,
Paul.