Dell Inspiron 8000, Mobility M4, DRI performance

Just wondering if anyone has gotten a Mobility M4 card working with DRI
well. I did a clean install of Debian on my laptop today, upgraded
everything to sid, and then installed all of the DRI packages from
http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/dri-trunk-sid/. I installed
xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk, xlibmesa-gl1-dri-trunk, and
drm-trunk-module-src. I compiled a fresh 2.4.21 kernel using the Debian
source package and then compiled the drm module using make-kpkg
modules_image, and then installed the new kernel and modules debs. In my
XF86Config-4 I'm using "r128" as my driver.

With all of this done, I can start X and everything works ok. The only
problem is that I can't seem to start X at anything below 1024x768. The
other issue, is that 3D acceleration is quite slow. Running glxgears, I
average about 700 fps. Trying to run quake3, the best I can do is about
30 fps on average. I know that this card isn't anywhere near top of the
line anymore, but I'd expect that a 32 MB board would still be able to
do a decent job running Quake 3.

Does anyone else have this setup running, and how well is it running? Am
I really running into a limitation of the hardware or is there some more
configuration that can be done to speed things up?

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837