Re: runlevels question

Le 12234ième jour après Epoch,
Stephane Provost écrivait:

> Hi,
>
>>From reading Heather's latest response:
>
>> entires out of your /etc/inittab.  And you can set up one of the runlevels
>> to have a lot less running than your normal "plugged into the LAN" mode
>> where you have more going on.  Read the man page on update-rc.d to tune
>> that to your taste; I usually use either runlevel 4, or runlevels 7
>> through 9 (after creating them) for that.
>
> I have a question. How do you set up multiple runlevels, such as one if the
> laptop is plugged into AC, one if it is on battery, one if connected to the
> LAN, one if it's a leap year, etc... I didn't know that was possible, and
> I'd be interested to know how to do it.

try 'man inittab' to understand what runlevel is. I'm not sure that using the
runlevels to change on 'plugged' state is accurate. There is much more tools
and flexibility on using apm, acpi, ifplugd, etc...

A runlevel is a 'state' on your system, describing what must run, and what must
not. For example:

runlevel: Status:
   1       System in single user
   2       System in multi-user, without network
   3       multi-users, network, text mode
   4       idem + graphic prompting

etc...

If you suspect some strange network activity, you can switch from level 3 to
level 2 with 'init 2' command, and then diagnose the problem. Then return to
level 3 or more using 'init 3' or 'init 4' command.

for battery, lan, leap year (? <g>), you can use /etc/ifplugd/... /etc/apm/...
or cron to change your system behaviour.

Hope this help.
--
Custer committed Siouxicide.