Re: keymap

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 01:38:48PM +0200, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am busy installing debian unstable on my thinkpad R40, but the FN
> key doesn't work.
>
> What keymap should I use?  It's a us qwerty keyboard, but I guess I
> need a specific keymap.
>
> I previously installed mandrake on the laptop and the FN key worked
> right away.
>
> Thanks in advance,

I know this is going to sound weird, but you probably can steal the
keymap info from the mandrake setup, if you either backed it up or are
presently dual booting.

This is certainly true of a console keymap;  if you haven't got it, use
showkeys to learn the keycode and then ungzip a nearly working keymap,
tweak it, and gzip it back up again.  (The keymap selectors don't seem
to look for unpacked keymaps, last time I was looking, admittedly a long
while back.)

For X compare the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 files to see the keyboard string.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078