Re: Sony Vaio bundled wireless card

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 04:49:09PM +0100, Dr Garret Cotter wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Has anyone had success with the wireless card bundled with
> the PCG-GRX616MP?
>
> I'm using unstable with 2.4.21 kernel & pcmcia modules. A modprobe
> orinico_cs doesn't return any errors, but iwconfig shows just
>

> fox:/home/garret# iwconfig
> lo        no wireless extensions.
>
> eth0      no wireless extensions.

Wireless extensions are a kernel feature (among the LNX-BBC crowd, we
had to build them in) so perhaps the default kernel doesn't have them?
That'd be annoying.  More likely, there's an additional module you need
to load, and then the iwconfig tools would work.  When you figure out
which one, tweak your modutils to preload the extra module whenever
orinoco_cs is being invoked,

I hear rumors that Knoppix solved something in this regard in the last
month or two (hey, at least it's debian :> ) but I don't know exactly
what the problem had been.

> Frustratingly the card does work under WinXP so the other side of the
> netwrork should be OK.
> Any suggestions?

Hopefully, Although I've a friend whose card "upgraded" itself when he
allowed Windows to update one day, and it won't talk to any of his PC
UNIX flavored systems anymore.  Depressing.  If anyone knows something
on that topic, feel free to chime in.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078