Re: cdrom problems

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:49:21 +0200 (CEST)
"Alessandro Speranza" <speranza@math.unifi.it> wrote:

> Hi guys!
> I've got a small problem whih I  cand't find solution for on the web.
> I compiled a kernel 2.4.20, patched for ptrace and lots of acpi and
> swasusp patches. Everything works, but the other day I realised that
> the cd-dvd player doesn't work any more (I've got Compaq Presario
> 700). When it boots, the kernel says something like
> hdc: LG DVD-CDROM ....drive
> but then, when I try to mount or do anything, it does
> hdc: driver not present
> I've noticed that if I use the old 2.4.18 kernel everything works fine
> and, besides the usual
> hdc: LG DVD-CDROM ....drive
> message
> I get also
> hdc: 28X DVD ....
> (sorry I can't be precise, I haven't got the laptop here with me).
> Anyway, it looks like there's something different in the kernel
> between the two versions. I've tried changing a bit the options in the
> "IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices" paragraph, but nothing seems to
> happen. Has anyone got any ideas?

It sounds like you've got IDE controller support (which tells you about
what controller channels and drives are detected, but you haven't loaded
ide-cd or ide-scsi as a module.

You'll also need iso9660 filesystem support (I think its called isofs)

Good luck!  (I'm trying to compile a 2.4.21 for my new P166 laptop, and
I can't get PCMCIA working :-\  So I know how it feels.  Mind you - when
I changed my desktop to 2.5.70, it took three days to get virtual
consoles working!)