Re: alternate boot for internet connection

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 10:25:48AM -0400, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> Hey all:
>
> While we're on the topic of internet connections at boot....How could I
> make two entries in lilo: one for at home with a wireless internet, and
> one for "away" with no internet connection? I'd like to use the same
> kernel, just change some of the other stuff that loads. Is it possible to
> select which /etc/network/interfaces is called through lilo?
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated!
>
> emma :)
>
> --
> Emma Jane Hogbin
> [[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]

You could use schemes.  If you peruse the pcmcia-howto that Hinds wrote
for the pcmcia-cs package, he mentions how to setup lilo to boot with
different append statements which launch different network setups.  I
have not done this in awhile but I did do it before.  I basically
created two schemes in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts called "home" and "work"
with different network setups like dhcp or static IP addresses.  I then
added this to my lilo.conf.

Here is the relevant section in the html version of the PCMCIA howto.

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.3

--
Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org