can't bring up eth0 correctly

I just went through my woody install on Inspiron 8200.  On the initial installation, it gets its ip via dhcp.  All good.  I did an apt-get for the 2.4-18 kernel, recompiled it with some changes, restart and no more.  On ifconfig I see lo and eth0, but I don’t get anything.

In /etc/interfaces I have auto eth0 commented out and eth0 set for dhcp.

If I manually try to assign the numbers it seems like it takes it.  But when I add route gateway, I get that there is no such device.

Any suggestions?

I didn’t see netenv helping much, so I removed it from startup as well.

Thanks,

Charles