Re: Dell 8000 problems -- 4-way split screen

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:41:12 -0400
Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to install debian on a Dell Inspiron 8000.  It's being a
> little less cooperative than the desktop systems I'm used to!
>
> My main problem right now is that on the console (i haven't even
> gotten X up yet), the screen is normal for the top quarter, and then
> redraws itself ontop of itself beginning at the 1-quarter, half, and
> 3-quarter marks.  The result is pretty legible for the second quarter,
> but absolutely illegible at the bottom.

I have a I8000, and I found a similar problem (not exactly the same) when I
"upgraded" the BIOS. I reverted to A17 and the problem disappeared.

We have two things to contend with that many others don't -- Dell BIOS and
NVIDIA video -- which may be interacting in a weird way.

Kevin