running a framebuffer desktop (no X)?

Hi,
I have an old Compaq LTE Elite 4/75CXL, with 32MB of RAM and a 500MB
hard drive.  I don't want to run X for obvious reasons, but I would like
to see if I can get a framebuffer-based desktop going.  I've read about
GTKfb, which looks pretty cool, and I understand there are some window
managers for a setup like this.  My screen is about 10" diagonal, so I
could get a few terminal windows on it.  ;)

I've been searching the web for information, but can't really find
anything useful.

Does anyone here have experience running a non-X desktop environment?
I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks,
Eric