XWindows "no screens found"

Apologies in advance, I'm still finding my way around GNU/Linux
Flavour: Debian Woody

When I try to run the X Windows environment on my Tosh Sat Pro 430CDS I get
a "Fatal server error". The screen flickers a few times, a see a 'grid'
momentarily, then it returns to the prompt with the error

"no screens found".
"XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on server ":0.0" after 0
requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining."

Also I've probably not set up my "pointing stick" [mouse] properly would
appreciate someone telling me how I configure it again - 'base-config' does
not appear to run mouse options.

Apparently RedHat needs a 'psaux' module to recognise the "pointing stick".
Does Debian use the same, if so where do I find it please, as it does not
appear to be installed.

As an additional problem, Debian is installed on a laptop with no
peripherals attached, so no printers or connection to the internet. What is
the command to copy error logs to floppy please, so that you can see them?

Many thanks in advance and apologies for the flood of questions.

Lexx