eepro100 and dhcp on new kernel

Hi,
I just did my first ever kernel compile in trying to get sound to work on my laptop. I have an ethernet card which works with the eepro100 driver . This same card does not work with the new kernel. The kernel sees it alright and starts it up but the card fails to get an IP from the dhcp server. I use netenv and i am not sure if it has anything to do with it. dhclient -e does not show an error and ifconfig shows the eth0 zero interface without an IP.

Any ideas anyone ?