Re: Toshiba laptops & Debian

howdy there.

"Pisut Tempatarachoke" <pxt@ph.adfa.edu.au> wrote:

  >  Could  anyone  please  provide   me  with  comments  on  Debian
  >  GNU/Linux and  Toshiba laptops  (or more specifically  Tecra S1
  >  1.4  GHz) compatability,  and  perhaps suggest  which laptop  I
  >  might consider apart from Toshiba.

i think  toshiba devices work  great. according  to what  the others
said  about  linux on  laptops  i  would recommend  checking  google
for  exactly   your  box  and   the  toshiba  linux   support  pages
(linux.toshiba-dme.co.jp/linux/).

don't  know  your  tecra  but  with my  nearly  new  portege  almost
everything works - including softmodem, wlan, lan and x.

  > I am  planning to partition its  hard drive so I  could use both
  > Windows XP and Debian.  Are  there any special specifications or
  > configerations of the laptop that I  should look for when I shop
  > around?

don't think so. i did a  more general splitting of the harddisk with
fdisk  from a  dos  bootdisk, installed  win xp  on  two small  ntfs
partitions, made  one with fat  32 for sharing between  os'es. while
installing linux i made up my linux space with cfdisk.

niels

--
                             |  /"\
(niels@|www.)ortschmiede.de  |  \ /  ASCII-Ribbon-Campaign
 pgp|gpg - mails preferred   |   X     Against HTML Mail