USB-cardreader on PowerPC?

Hi all,

I'm trying to read images from a digital camera via an USB connected
card reader on my Pismo Powerbook.  I use the cardreader on my intel
laptop as well on one of my USB capable intel desktops.  Hence, I
thought, I knew, how it works.  But I can't manage it to work on my
PPC.

I build a 2.4.18 kernel myself and included USB support,
USB-mass-storage, SCSI, SCSI-generic, SCSI-disk and FAT / VFAT
filesystem support as modules.  The modules where loaded into the
kernel, as /sbin/lsmod shows:

rekass2:~# /sbin/lsmod
vfat                   11792   0  (autoclean)
fat                    35052   0  (autoclean) [vfat]
sd_mod                 13148   0  (autoclean)
appletalk              24852  12  (autoclean)
rtc                     1760   0  (autoclean)
sg                     34420   0  (unused)
usb-storage            57192   0
scsi_mod               93856   3  [sd_mod sg usb-storage]
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: General  Model: Flash Disk Drive Rev: 2.05
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 01
  Vendor: General  Model: Flash Disk Drive Rev: 2.05
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 02
  Vendor: General  Model: Flash Disk Drive Rev: 2.05
  Type:   Direct-Access

As you cann see, the device is detected correctly.  On my intel
machines, I use

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera to mount the smart media card of
this card reader.  (The other reported devices are compact flash and
micordrive, which I don't own and hence can't check ...)  ON my PPC I
get the errormessage:

mount: /dev/sda1 is not a valid block device

What is going wrong?  What may be missing?

Thanks in advance

        Jan

--
   Dipl.-Ing. Jan Braun            <P.Assistent@tu-clausthal.de>