Re: ACPI sleep/hibernation mode

Mattia Dongili wrote:

> On Wed, 07 May 2003 15:09:50 +0200
> Emil Pedersen <emilp@update.uu.se> wrote:
>
> > > I don't know about NVidia drivers, but a chvt before suspending (and
> > > a chvt back to X upon resume) should do the trick
> >
> > That's what I thought too, but unfortunately it wasn't (for me) the
> > case.  You got an ati radeon chip, right?  Could be a nvidia thing
> > then(think I'll drop Nigel a note and ask when I got some spare time).
>
> Yes, I have a radeon M6 LY. Usually the problem is that the video driver
> doesn't resume properly. Actually I thought you were using the
> proprietary NVidia drivers, for which there's nothing to do except
> waiting for them to support suspend.
> Anyway another common problem is the agpgart module AFAIK, you could try
> disabling it and run a suspend/resume cycle.

I am using nvidias (closed source) driver, but the problem is that I
can't suspend.  There seems to be problem with nvidia on resumes that
can be solved by starting a fake x server, but I never get that far.
  The problem I run into when suspending is something "... panic ...
request while ide blocked ...".  I've found old references to this
problem, but no recent ones so I assume it works for most people.

Thanks for mentioning agpgart, I'll see if I'm using it and try to
dissable it if so.  Now that you mention it I recall some (other?)
problem mentioned in nvidias docs regarding agpgart...  Sudenly it feels
like a good day to quit work early (as the laptop is left at home;-)

The best,
	Emil