WLAN: Throughput on a Netgear MA401

Hi,

I've set up a Netgear MR814v2 and a Netgear MA401 wireless network. Works
good, range is ok. Laptop is Dell 81K, card firmware is 1.3.6, always
connects with 11Mbps rate and signal strength > 50. Kernel is vanilla 2.4.20
with preempt patch applied, pcmcia-cs 3.2.4.

Now for the fun part: I tried many combination of parameters ( WEP
(off|40bits|104bits), Mode (Managed|Ad-Hoc), different channels, different
modules (wvlan_cs, wavelan_cs) with different parameters, different
locations, different antenna positions on all devices ... you get it). Best
success with orinoco_cs (.13d drivers), other modules don't work at all.

The maximum throughput is a *constant* 1,5 Mbit. I have not expected to get
11Mbit, but 300-400 kBytes/sec should be possible. Switching to XP - still
nearly constant 180 kBytes/sec. Switching to a Latitude C810 - guess what. 20
inches or 20 meters away from the AP - no Ma'am. I know there are issues with
WEP enabled but not in this case. Tests with a D-Link DWL-650 showed it maxed
out at even only 165kB/s.

Has anyone encountered similar behaviour? Any hints like known firmware issues
or what else to try out? Looked for hours googling and usenetting but found
nothing comparable. Don't make me call NetGear support, please. ;)

Thanks for your answers,
  Frank
 Frank Trenkamp                            ftrenkam at uos.de
 GPG fprt: 5A0C 4AE9 74A5 51F0 2D34  E7DC 67FF 32C4 0357 5653