I fried my Sony Vaio PCG-FXA678

Hi,

After 15 years using a Win-tel system (from Dos 4.x and a 286 to Win-XP and an Athlon), I decided to embrace Linux.

For no particular reason I ended up using XandrOS, a Commercial Debian (Woody)-Based distribution. I successfully installed it on my Sony Vaio PCG-FXA678 (The Latin American version of PGC-FXA53).

Everything worked fine, with the only exception of the Winmodem. Since I have an ActionTec 56K PCMCIA modem, this was not a problem.

However, last week I was working on my laptop when suddenly it just turned off. Any attempt to power-on again was futile. I had to take it to the Sony Repair Center. They just told me that my motherboard & processor are fried.

There was no electrical over-current (and I was connected to a surge protector) and I had activated the ACPI support via the XandrOS control panel.

The XandrOS Support Team told me that maybe I had a faulty fan and it burned out, taking my processor and motherboard with it.

Now I?m not sure if something on the XandrOS caused it... and I having second thoughts about switching to Linux.

Is there something you could recommend me to do in order to regain my Linux confidence?

Thank you,

Manuel Saavedra, Mexico City

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Net: La mejor conexión a internet y 25MB extra a tu correo por $100 al mes.