Re: Debian on Compaq evo n800w - any success?

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 08:40:50PM +0200, Nenad Antonic wrote:
> I have the option to purchase a Compaq evo n800w laptop.
> However, I was unable to find any linux success stories on the net
> (neither for my favourite distro - Debian, nor for any other).
>
> Any information will be appreciated.
>
> - Nenad.

I did find one thing off google for the n800v.  Is that similar?

Here is the link:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2002/debian-laptop-200211/msg00274.html

I also found a threat on groups.google.com which may provide a bit more
information:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=o9ibvu84o3nntki0bsht56va2l81ftvffd%404ax.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dcompaq%2Bevo%2Bn800%2Band%2Blinux%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26selm%3Do9ibvu84o3nntki0bsht56va2l81ftvffd%25404ax.com%26rnum%3D1

Sorry for the length of the url there...  The main piece of information
in this post is about recent versions of ACPI and incompatabilities with
recent kernels.

A few other basic things you could try to see how things will work:

1) locate success stories with the video card in the compaq.  Other
laptops may have similar chipsets so if you can find someone that got it
working with a Dell or something, you could locate a XF86Config-4 file
which works or at least have one to trim down.  People often boot the
original OS and use "device mangler" to find out what is what before
blasting Linux on it.

2) find a close hit for your laptop and then note the differences.
Sometimes minor versions may sport only a few differences.  I did a bit
of work on IBM ThinkPads running Linux and often the change of a minor
number meant only minor changes although video changes can cause some
misery.

I think the things I would search out are success stories with the
included NIC, video, and sound.  I always felt that the bundled nic and
modem could be easily replacced with a combo pcmcia card but I have been
pretty lucky overall with my laptops.

--
Michael Perry | Do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org