Re: Screens Not Found

Frank wrote:

From: Russell Shaw <rjshaw@iprimus.com.au>
Date: 2003/04/26 Sat AM 02:50:40 EDT
To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org,  Frank <kumro@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: Screens Not Found

Frank wrote:

Well I just installed debian and I got the same error. I tried XFree86 -configure
 but I got errors about loading the shared library for glide. Im lost at how to configure XFree86?

Did you do this command as root?

man glide

Has XF86Config-4 got a glide video card in it? Remove it if you don't need it.
The man page says to use a soft-link for glide.

> "Remove it if you don't need it." What do i remove? When i setup X I used the ATI
 driver and the default horizontal and vertical sync ranges. I dont know what u want
 me to remove. Please explain? Im new to configuring X...

It's easier to read if you don't top-post.

All the configuration of X (XFree86) is in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. If this file
was newly installed, then don't worry about removing old stuff.

From man glide:

       This driver requires that you have installed Glide. (Which
       can,  at  the  time  of  this   writing,   be   found   at
       http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxRPMS.html).  Also,  you need
       to tell XFree86 where the libglide2x.so file is placed  by
       making a soft link in the /usr/X11R6/lib/modules directory
       that points to the libglide2x.so  file.  For  example  (if
       your libglide2x.so file is in /usr/lib):

         # ln -s /usr/lib/libglide2x.so /usr/X11R6/lib/modules

Have you tried this?