Re: Newbie questions

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 05:08:25PM -0400, Jacob Tennant wrote:
> 1. Whenever I start the machine it goes straight into GNOME desktop. How do
> I stop that?

Look at the rc.init scripts.  REMOVE the one that's labeled gdm.  When you start the machine, it will go into text mode.

> 2. I need to tell it to make the screen 1024x768 instead of 800x600. How do
> I do that?

That's the XF86Config file.  There should be a utility, I think it's called XF86Setup, that steps you through creating it.

> 3. Need to setup the system to use my Thinkpads Trackpoint mouse. How do I
> do that?

That's also handled in XF86Setup.

If you haven't seen this yet, go to www.linux-laptop.net. Many of the sites have example XF86Config files.