Re: presario battery

* Alessandro Speranza <speranza@math.unifi.it> [2003-04-22 12:53] :
> Hi Guys.
> I hope for the ones of you who have been celebrating in the last few days,
> you had a good holyday.
>
> I' m writing because  I'm a bit concerned about my laptop and maybe some
> of you could reensure me.  I've got a Compaq Presario 700 running Woody

Mine is a 711EA.

> rather well, with a patched 2.4.18 kernel. ACPI is working with
> sourceforge and kapcid patches. I get acpi events, as well as throttling
> and battery state. Akpi constantly monitors my batter. However, there's
> something weird about it. In the /proc/acpi/batter/BAT0/info file I get
>
> present:                 yes
> design capacity:         53280 mWh
> last full capacity:      20054 mWh

I am at about 40000 mWh and I bought it about a year ago.

[...]

> As you see from the first lines, I have a design capacity 53280 mWh and a
> last full capacity: 20054 mWh. In fact when I fully charge it, the
> /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state, gives me something like 20000 mWh. Then I'm
> wondering, what's this design capicity?

This is the initial capacity for the battery. Unfortunately as time
goes, you can't recharge it at full initial capacity, but only at full
current capacity. This capacity decreases a lot over time, especially
when you completely discharge the battery.

[...]

> consistent. Am I just being paranoid and it's just a crap battery which
> lasts very little? OR is it because it's already 1 and a half years old
> and it's kind of deteriorating? Or is it something else that you  might
> know?

Unfortunately for you (and me) I think this is a crap battery which does
not last for very long, at least to what I have heard from other
laptops' owners.

Fred