netinstall ext3, lilo, apm and acpi

Hi,

In three days I'm getting my (first) laptop: an IBM R40 high model.

Because exams are in a month I do not have the time to spend much time
on configuring the beast.  So I am already looking out for info.

I know the laptop will come with winXP on it (ntfs for sure) and with
a hidden partion at the end for recovery.

First I thought of installing the latest mandrake to get started fast
and after exams install Debian (my only distro now).  But then again I
rather use debian because of the apt-get magic.

So Debian it is.

Because the laptop comes with  only a DVD/CDROM player I will have to
install from CDROM.  I will first start with a netinstall booted from
CDROM.  Does anybody know a iso with ext3 support?

Also, will it be possible to resize ntfs partitions with cfdist/fdisk?
I want to shrink the winxp partion so I can use the laptop when the
install doesn't work at once.  What with lilo?  Do thinkpads work with
lilo.  I haven't set up a dualboot ever...

I read on several pages that acpi is needed to do the hibernation
thing.  If I want to use hibernation I should put a fat32 partion on
the laptop.  Right?  But what is the difference with apm and acpi?
Apm doesn't hibernate, but I don't think I need it in the beginning.
If I'm correct hibernate let's you supend your laptop and when you use
it again everythings the same as before you suspend?  I don't
understand what they mean with suspend with acpi and apm.  What's the
difference?
Could someone explain me what apm/acpi does?

Thanks in advance for answering these questions ;)
--
Rudy Gevaert                rudy@zeus.ugent.be
Web page                    http://www.webworm.org