Re: compiling & installing kernels

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Ben Southwood wrote:

> > 4. Finish installing the new kernel
> > 	- make dep
> > 	- make clean
> > 	- make bzImage
> > 	- make modules
> > 	- make modules_install
> >
> [snip]
> I must be doing something rather wrong!
>
> I have installed the new kernel, but none of the modules (like really none..) are loading..
> when I did make modules it seemed to be doing everything, until the end where it said 'nothing to be done for modules..' or similar
>
> when I lsmod I get an empty list!

Hmm...I'm losing the plot now, but I have the impression that if after
making the modules and installing the modules, you don't actually load
them one by one with modconf or by hand with modprobe, you will never get
anything from your lsmod. After you got your kernel and you're modules
ready, just reboot and then load the new modules.
However, if when you make the modules and install them, you don't get
a /lib/modules/2.(...) directory with all your modules in there, I guess
you're doing something wrong in your config file.
	good luck
		Alessandro