Re: rc.d type script?

Ben wrote:
> as a recent convert from redhat, I was wondering if there is any similar
> location that I can put commands that I wish to be executed last?
> ie. a script that sets my wireless configuration, hdparm settings etc...

Sure.  The rc startup scripts work very similarly.  A few differences.
Looking at /etc/init.d/README points you to the policy documentation.
But if you took an example, say /etc/init.d/cron, and modified it for
your purposes you would be in good shape.  Then make a symlink from
/etc/rc2.d/SXYname to ../init.d/name where XY is the number that
places your startup at the point you want it to run.

The update-rc.d script exists to provide an API for the installer and
is required to be the way that packages post install scripts make
change to those symlinks.  This way if the installer is installing
into a target chroot or in other cases it can modify behavior
accordingly.  Packages are not allowed to modify the links directly
because it would defeat being able to do certain things at
installation time.  People are allowed to modify them manually,
however.  The restriction applies only to package scripts.  But this
is convenient enough to use for anyone.

  update-rc.d packagename defaults 99

Replace 99 with the appropriate start number for your script.
Actually there is a lot of possibility for fine grained control.

Bob