Re: ALSA confusion

Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

> I thought I had everything almost working, but I didn't. My problem is
> that most of the instructions need a .deb for the kernel. I do everything
> a la main. So I can make and install a .deb for the alsa drivers (at one
> point I actually got a sound file to play on xmms -- although there was no
> sound that came out of my computer).
>
> But then whenever I try to use apt-get I get a complaint about the kernel
> .deb file missing.
>
> Does anyone know where I could find instructions on stitching things
> together?
>
> I've been trying to use this one:
> http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=541&page=1
> but I have to install the alsa modules with dpkg -i...
>
> thanks!
>
> emma

When you built the kernel (your now using), did you build it with
make-kpkg  into a deb package or the "easy" way?  I would guess the
later and that that is the reason apt-get complains.
  It's not that hard to make a kernel package, but I have no idea if it
would help in this case.  (Personally I usually skip that step unless I
intend to install the same kernel on several computers.)

Is it a requirement to do it "the debian way"?  I got alsa working not
using the packed source without too much trouble (at least as I recall
it).  In some cases I find it simpler to "pollute" my system with
configure/make/install  rather than using prepackaged source/packages.

Anyway; I'll probably reinstall alsa (new kernel and alsa version)
during the day, I'll try to remember what I do (if I get i working
again;-) if you want to try the "false" way.

Sincerely,
	Emil