Re: R31 install to a second drive

Jeff [Donnerstag, 10. April 2003 18:14]:
>| You should consider using grub as your boot loader.
.... especially if you've got more than one harddrive, or more than one OS.
Grub boots first loading a filesystem-module (satge1.5, from a free space
after the mbr - wickened thing !).
This means you can scramble in /boot freely -  if only the filenames are the
same, grub will find things. If not, there's the pre-boot shell, with special
commands and access to the filesystems of all partitions (however limited to
one type, e.g. ext2/3).
It's quite not easy to get the system unbootable at all.
The native documentation imo is not easy to understand, if you're used to
lilo.
--------------- snip
Kevin:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=4622
Ah, thank you. Looks good.
pans ------------

I know there are some people on the list experienced with grub, and think
they're willing to help you with your first steps.

>| larry lampshade, 2003-Apr-10 04:03 -0700:
>| > I have thinkpad r31
>| > I did a test, I installed woody on the new drive,
>| > which installed where the main drive sits. (I needed
>| > the CD-ROM). I move the drive into the caddy, however
>| > the kernal panic on bootup, and cannot mount the root
>| > file system. I guess because the root file system is
>| > mounted drive on a different IDE channel.
>| > Is the a configuration file that I can change so that
>| > install the drive in it's new location.
LILO had problems to boot from a second ide in the past. I thought that's
gone .... When i used lilo i had a chainload function from the first to the
second hd's lilo with an lilo.config entry like
other = /dev/hdX		# X is your second drive
    label = Chain to Second Disc
    loader=/boot/chain.b
If there's trouble with the BIOS device mapping, you can also try
   map-drive = 0x80
  to = 0x83
but i don't have experience with this - perhaps you'd need other values.

I would be interested in how you solve it.

hth

                          micha.