Re: R31 install to a second drive

larry lampshade, 2003-Apr-10 04:03 -0700:
> I have thinkpad r31
>
> I purchased an extra drive, that replaces the CD. Once
> I have done the initial install. I intend to put the
> new drive in a caddy that replaces the CD-ROM.
>
> I did a test, I installed woody on the new drive,
> which installed where the main drive sits. (I needed
> the CD-ROM). I move the drive into the caddy, however
> the kernal panic on bootup, and cannot mount the root
> file system. I guess because the root file system is
> mounted drive on a different IDE channel.
>
> Is the a configuration file that I can change so that
> install the drive in it's new location.

You should consider using grub as your boot loader.  You can probably
add another boot source in /etc/lilo.conf, but with grub you could
specify a boot source at boot time using grub interactively.  I
haven't made the switch to grub, so I can't tell you exactly how to do
this.  But check it out.  I think that's where your answer is.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User