Re: Wireless problems, orinoco chipset

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 12:27:36PM +0000, Ben Southwood wrote:

> David Gibson wrote:
> >On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:36:13AM +0000, ben wrote:
> >
> >>Hi!
> >>
> >>I am having a little dificulty setting up my wireless network under
> >>Debian woody kernel 2.4.18bf (Ithink!)
> >>
> >>when i run iwconfig i get this reply:
> >>
> >>Warning: Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 12
> >>of Wireless Extension, while this program is using version 15.
> >>Some things may be broken...
> >>
> >>eth1      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:""  Nickname:"HERMES I"
> >>        Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.422GHz  Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
> >>        Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
> >>        Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
> >>        Encryption key:off
> >>        Power Management:off
> >>        Link Quality:0/92  Signal level:134/153  Noise level:134/153
> >>        Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
> >>        Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
> >>whatever is broken is stopping me from putting in my ESSID, not sure
> >>about other things, I know i can still set my Mode.
> >

> >What happens when you try?
>
> nothing!
> when i type iwconfig eth1 ESSID MYNETWORK
> ESSID just remains at ESSID ""

Hrm... any error mesasges in dmesg?

> for some weird reason I have to keep my network settings on this machine
> (in redhat at least) as managed or it doesn't work, even tho its a peer to
> peer network and the other machine is set to Ad-hoc, I don't think this is
> relevant in this case tho..

If the other machines are in ad-hoc mode, this one ought to be too.
However the firmware is peculiar in that setting it to Managed mode
will actually autodetect ad-hoc or infrastructure mode, it just won't
create it's own IBSS.

david@gibson.dropbear.id.au	| solution which is simple, neat and
http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson