Re: Wireless problems, orinoco chipset

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:36:13AM +0000, ben wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am having a little dificulty setting up my wireless network under Debian
> woody kernel 2.4.18bf (Ithink!)
>
> when i run iwconfig i get this reply:
>
> Warning: Driver for device eth1 has been compiled with version 12
> of Wireless Extension, while this program is using version 15.
> Some things may be broken...
>
> eth1      IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:""  Nickname:"HERMES I"
>          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.422GHz  Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
>          Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   Sensitivity:1/3
>          Retry limit:4   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
>          Encryption key:off
>          Power Management:off
>          Link Quality:0/92  Signal level:134/153  Noise level:134/153
>          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
>          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
> whatever is broken is stopping me from putting in my ESSID, not sure about
> other things, I know i can still set my Mode.

What happens when you try?

> how do I go about changing the driver for version 15? or vice versa, how do
> I go about changing iwconfig back to version 12?

This isn't to do with the driver, it's just the version of wireless
extensions the kernel was compiled with as opposed to that the tools
were compiled with.  I wouldn't really expect it to cause a problem in
this case.

david@gibson.dropbear.id.au	| solution which is simple, neat and
http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson