Re: Linux-wlan-ng vs. kernel/pcmcia-cs drivers...

Since there was no response to this message I went ahead and installed
pcmcia-cs by hand.

I first did an apt-get dist-upgrade to sarge, from there I install gcc
components and other stuff for compiling C/C++ code.
I then downloaded kernel-source-2.4.20(with debian kernel patches) and
pcmcia-source via apt-get.
Next I created a generic kernel without PCMCIA support.
Just make xconfig; make dep; make mzImage; make modules; make modules_install;
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-generic, then edit your
boot manager script to test new kernel.

After the first shot I had the debian 2.4.20 kernel installed and running
fine. Next I compiled pcmcia-cs from -sarge which is version 3.1.34.
I did a make config; make all; make install and it compile with errors but
still worked.
With my entry in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts looking like this:
*,*,*,*)
        INFO="Zippi"
        ESSID="SlakNet"
        MODE="managed"
        CHANNEL="1"
        RATE="11M auto"
        KEY="xxxx-xxxx-xx"
;;

I experience very poor performance. my max speed was about 8.6Kb/ps.

So I compiled pcmcia-cs v3.2.4 from http://pcmcia-cs.sf.net, this time it
compiled with no errors. I rebooted and now I am getting in the
nieghborhood of 600Kb/ps threwput.

I hope this helps somebody, maybe when I have a bit more time I can dine
in to the linux-wlan-ng driver and see what it has to offer.

So far my experience with kernel-2.4.20+deb-pkgs and pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 has
been good, my only complaint left is the dmesg reports this error about
75 times since putting the card in and writing this email:

eth0: Error -5 writing packet to BAP
eth0: Error -5 writing packet to BAP
eth0: Error -5 writing packet to BAP

Any suggestions or questions are appreciated and welcome.

Matt Snow
 (@) drama@slakin.net
 (w) http://slakin.net.

"We do not tell others the things we fear admitting to ourselves."
        -w0rd