two questions

Hi Folks.
I haven't been writing for a while. In fact I unsubscribed and subscribed
again just today (changes in my life and stuff). Anyway, that's probably
not very relevant to you.
I've got two questions for you.

1)I've got my laptop (compaq Presario 700) running debian stable (thanks
to everyone who put up on the web some information about ACPI and other
issues with this laptop). Now I would need something with which I can
autodect the network (if present) I'm connected to amongst a few
possibilities (just two + the home-no nets situation for me). I remember
that some time ago someone passed this information on the list, but I
can't quite recall it anymore. And in fact there are probably more
advanced tools on the web now.

2)The second issue is not strictly laptop related, but here it is. I was
planning to watch DVDs with my laptop using the S-Video. However, I tried
(with videolan) to put a cd on, and it complained about the device. In
fact, I checked the settings, and if I select dvd, it looks for a device
/dev/dvd which I don't have. Do I have to change the settings so that it
looks for /dev/cdrom either it's playing a dvd or a vcd (what is it by the
way? Is it a video-cd?)

Right, that's about it.
Thanks a lot for your help
	Ale