Re: autoloading module for pcmcia network card

Hi!

> Assuming it's a cardbus card...

It claims to be one.

> >| Apr  2 14:42:52 flyer kernel: PCI: Enabling device 02:00.0 (0000 ->
> >| 0003)
>
> Seems not to be cardbus device! Is that all about ? Next, there should be
> cardmgr: entries like socket : ID string in the syslog; then cardmgr
> executing modprobe.

Apart from that is was not executing modprobe/insmod at all.

> If it's not a cardbus card, you might consider the "hotplug" package
> instead of pcmcia cs. It's said to be better with pcmcia 32 bit cards (
> though pcmcia-sc supports that also) and also handles PCI and USB.
> Better to run only either of them.

Hotplug seems to be a good keyword. I installed hotplug in addition to
pcmcia-cs (sincs pcmcia-cs suggests hotplug, I thought, the two should get
along). Now the 8139too-module gets loaded - and additionally 8139cp, which
fails to load. I don't have the time today, to sort out, which is loaded from
where. Anyway, 8139too seems to be the only working choice. 8139cp fails even
if I try to install it by hand in the absence of 8139too.
Anyway - so far so good. The only thing that's missing, is that the interface
is not brought up, yet.
Well, I'll look into it when I have more time. Thanks so far!

Thomas