Newbie to Linux Questions

I am in the preliminary process of converting my IBM Thinkpad 770 from
Win98se to linux and have a few questions.

1. Is there anything special I need to know before I start this about
setups? I have seen the web page refering to this laptop and debian linux
but some of the links are dead.

2. Can linux accomidate all of the ports I have/need such as pcmcia cards,
infared, USB?

3. Also in the process of getting a cable modem so is there anything I need
to know/do in the setup special to handle this?

4. Any advice in any other aspects to this subject would be a big help as I
am totally new to linux.

Jacob Tennant  K8JWT