Re: Mobile modems

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 15:34, Andy Swallow wrote:

> Does anybody know much about using a mobile phone as a modem for a laptop? Is
> the whole subject something of a minefield? Is it only realistically possible
> with Windows? Any pros/cons that I should be aware of?

Actually very easy : the phone acts exactly as a serial modem. If you
have ever configured a PPP connexion, nothing new here. If your phone
communicates with the PC via IR, a kernel module is needed, and then you
can consider the IR port as just another serial port.

Keep in mind that standard GSM tops at about 9.6 Kb/s, 14.4 Kb/s with
HSCSD. With GPRS you can expect throughputs between 20 and 50 Kb/s
according to how many time slots you use.