Re: Configuring lilo to use kernel from /dev/hda6

Hi,
On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 08:42:50PM -0500, asubedi wrote:
> I installed Debian in my sony pcg-grx500 with /dev/hda6 as "/"
> and /dev/hda7 as /usr. I have Redhat root in /dev/hda1,
> /home in /dev/hda2, /usr in /dev/hda3 and swap in /dev/hda5.
[...]

summary:
/dev/hda1		RedHat /
/dev/hda2		RedHat /home
/dev/hda3		RedHat /usr
/dev/hda5		<swap>
/dev/hda6		Debian /
/dev/hda7		Debian /usr

in MBR is installed lilo booting RedHat on /dev/hda1

so you have to do the following:
1. insert Debian CD and install lilo into /dev/hda6 (not MBR !!!)
	- that will make /dev/hda6 "bootable" for lilo from RedHat
2. then reboot into RedHat and in lilo.conf insert :
	other=/dev/hda6 ...
3. boot and in menu or text choose /dev/hda6 and it will load
lilo installed in /dev/hda6, there choose the default image (or it
will load it automatically) and boot into Debian

... Then if you want, you can edit lilo.conf in Debian in order to
just load the default image and not ask nor wait.

Debian lilo.conf should look like:

lba32
boot=/dev/hda6 		# IMPORTANT !!!
root=/dev/hda6

install=/boot/boot.b

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default=Linux-default

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux-default
	read-only
#       restricted

And RedHat lilo.conf:

lba32
boot=/dev/hda 		# IMPORTANT !!!
root=/dev/hda1

prompt
delay=100
timeout=100

install=/boot/boot.b

map=/boot/map

vga=normal

default=Linux-RedHat

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux-RedHat
	read-only
#       restricted
	alias=1

other=/dev/hda6
	label=Linux-Debian
#	restricted
	alias=2

The step with inserting Debian CD is not necessary,
you can do this from RedHat, just edit lilo.conf (boot=/dev/hda6)
and run lilo, and then edit it again (boot=/dev/hda) and run it again

Bye.
--
| Martin Kacerovsky                |