Problem with FireWire

Hi!

I've got a little problem with the IEEE1394 support on my computer, a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop...

when I plug my shiny iPod (which works really good under f*cking
windows) to the computer, the laptop suddenly hangs.

I recompiled my kernel yesterday (I had 2.4.18-bf2.4, and moved to
2.4.20), but I still have the same problem... I followed the
instructions from a "Linux iPod HOWTO"
(http://www.cs.duke.edu/~geha/ipod/ )... all the modules are loaded
--ieee1394, ohci1394, sbp2--... I have the raw1394 module loaded too,
maybe this is causing the problem (?). The point is that, with the new
kernel, is still hangs :-(

As far as I know, this laptop includes a Texas Instruments OHCI
compliant FireWire controller, and it should work. Anybody had the same
problem (with an iPod or another FireWire devide)?

C'mon please, help... my iPod working under windows but not under Debian
is keeping me still in the windows world :-(

Thanks a lot amigos!!