Re: CD-reader on SONY VAIO SR27K

On 12 Mar 2003 12:06:48 -0000
blair.kelly@att.net wrote:

> [Side question relating to the kernel - How does lilo or
> the kernel know which System.map to access?  For example,
>
> In other words, my questions is - who is reading System.map
> and how are they accessing it? ]

AFAIK System.map isn't used in normal operation. It's a hexadecimal index of kernel symbols (names of kernel functions). It's used for debugging.

So while it's nice from a Good Housekeeping point of view to keep your kernel and symbol table matched up, you could leave it out completely and the system would boot and run.

Kevin