Re: Mouse

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:38:08AM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> From: "Michael Westwind" <m_westwind@yahoo.com>
>
> > The touchpad on my Sony wouldn't work in X until I put a command to turn gpm
> > off in .xinitrc.  No trouble after that.  No idea if that applies to your
> > case.
>
> It's funny but some people have only had success with gpm and others - like you
> and me - couldn't use it with gpm.

Sorry, I haven't followed all this thread, but here's an idea anyway...

Setting up gpm such that X works with it requires that

    (1) gpm is run with the -R option, such that it repeats the mouse
        input on /dev/gpmdata

    (2) X is set up to use /dev/gpmdata as the mouse device

    (3) the mouse protocol repeated onto /dev/gpmdata is the same as
        tha mouse protocol specified in the X config.

If these requirements are not satisfied, things don't work, or (worse),
they don't always work. This particularly applies to setups in which
both gpm and X access the mouse (e.g. /dev/psaux) directly.

According to my experience, having gpm translate the mouse protocol may
lead to problems, I therefore configure gpm to use the "raw" protocol
(i.e. no translation, ``-R raw'' option).

So, you could try to manually shut down X and gpm. Then, edit the
InputDevice section for the mouse /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to say

    Option "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
    Option "Protocol" "PS/2"

and save the file. Then, start gpm and X

    gpm -t ps2 -m /dev/psaux -R raw
    startx

If the mouse works, configure the gpm startup process to use the options
in the command line above...

On a final note, I once had a computer which required me to use the "fups2"
protocol type -- check the output of ``gpm -t help'' for options...

Greetinx, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: kim@inb.uni-luebeck.de                          |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.inb.uni-luebeck.de/staff/kim.html    |