asus L3800 c

hi,

i have little problemes to config my laptop, so it don't freeze while working.

first i tried with woody, but there is a little problem with X, because the ati M7 LW works only with X >= 4.2. at www.apt-get.org i found a site to upgrade my system to 4.2. i used brandon's ported version. first it works fine. so i started to install the software i'd like to have. gnome, sawfish, enlightenment (i'd like to change sometimes), galeon, mozilla, evolution, gimp, ... sorry, but since i have all the packages installed, i have problems with x. it freeze. no chance to change to console or reboot with ctrl-alt-del.

in this case i allways hope, that i know my ip, so i can login over ssh and reboot. if not, i only can push the power - button. but this should not be the right way or?

i have upgraded to sid (just for testing), in case testing shows the same features as woody. sometimes it seems to freeze to, but X close by ctrl-alt-backspace.

after X (or any other programm) freezed and the keyboard was dead, i checked the log-files via ssh. i have found no message who told me what shit happens.

maybe anyone of you have an idea. tuxmobil is a great site an i got a lot of tips i used in my config files. but i would like to have a debian almost out of the box, so i can use apt-get update , upgrade ... for almost all packages.

greets reinhard

ps maybe one of you use pc-tel for the stupid modem inside? sometimes it works but slowly, but the most time it try to connect ;-).