ES1869 sound card (and 3d effect) in a Compaq Armada 3500

Hi,
	this is not really a problem directly tied to Debian, but ... O:-)

	I have a Compaq Armada 3500, that has a ES1869 sound card. This card
has some kind of "3D Effect" that some pesky engineer thought was cool, but is
really *awful* :-) It makes any music coming out of the sound card sound
horrid. And the problem is that I can't switch it off :-m

	There was a time when I switched it off, though my means were not very
ortodox. First I loaded the ALSA modules; these didn't work, but they somehow
switched the 3D effect off. Then I loaded the sb module as usual ("options sb
dma=1 esstype=1869 io=0x220 irq=5 mpu_io=0x330 dma16=5"), and everything
worked fine.

	But recently (read: a few months back) I reinstalled the system (LVM
woes), and the new version of ALSA didn't do the trick of switching off the 3D
effect :-m So now I don't know what to do. I thought that maybe there was some
way to switch it off without resorting to hacks, but I don't know :-m Has
someone had a similar problem, or any hint about what to do?

	Excuse me if I sound too incoherent, or if I forget to provide some
useful information, but it's been a long day and yesterday I slept too little
O:-) Thanks in advance.

--
	Roberto Suarez Soto