Re: CD-reader on SONY VAIO SR27K

I wrote:

> Does anyone have an idea what the message that I get
> in /etc/syslog when I insert the PCMCIA card for the
> CD-reader means:
>
> : cardmgs[339]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

Heather Stern replied:

: The "resource" in question might be IRQs - check your
: /etc/pcmcia/config.opts and make sure it isn't being told
: to allow the cardbus to use an IRQ that something else is
: hungry for.
:
: Common contenders are your IR port (often irq 7) sound
: ports (usu. 5 but it can vary) and pci or compact-pci NIC
: cards (varies, but especially annoying when they steal
: IRQ 9, which many things are otherwise willing to share).

Here is my /etc/pcmcia/config.opts - which should be
fairly standard except for the 'source ./sony_cd.conf'
which I added.

#
# Local PCMCIA Configuration File
#

# System resources available for PCMCIA devices

include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x800-0x8ff, port 0xc00-0xcff
include memory 0xc0000-0xfffff
include memory 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff, memory 0x60000000-0x60ffffff

# High port numbers do not always work...
# include port 0x1000-0x17ff

# Extra port range for IBM Token Ring
include port 0xa00-0xaff

# Resources we should not use, even if they appear to be available

# First built-in serial port
exclude irq 4
# Second built-in serial port
#exclude irq 3
# First built-in parallel port
exclude irq 7

source ./sony_cd.conf

I do not see anything that would be stopping my pcmcia
card and CD-read from working.  Does anyone?

And would a kind person point me at a document that would
explain what these 'sockets' and 'irq's are.  Other than
recognizing the names, I must admit that I do not know
what they do.

Blair