Re: make-kpkg, was: Getting PCMCIA to work?

 Manoj Srivastava  (Montag, 10. Februar 2003 01:09 ) :

> 	Oww. This looks complicaed, and I am not sure what it buys
>  one, as opposed to appending to the version.

Yes, from your point of view, probably you're right.
>From my point, finally I've got 2 commands:
mkern -x to built and install  and kernel -y to change the setup.
Besides running menuconfig, that's all.
A clear structure, too.
Safety checks to have a properly bootable system implied.
No fiddling with grub ( I've several OS here, so i would have to, right ?),
no questions about lilo and the mbr.
While compiling / installing or changing kerneIs i can work on without even
think about what's happening.
That was the one goal.

Another point was motivation to exercise some scripting ;-)

I agree to Mike it might be useful not to forget how to handle other distro's
as well.

On the other hand, i try to learn about debian.
It's really good stuff.

--

micha.