Re: How to have more than one window manager?

    "Ivan" == Ivan Uemlianin <iau@ukfsn.org> writes:

    Ivan> Dear All I'm not using a display manager, but I'd still like
    Ivan> a choice of window manager when I startx.  How is this done?

    Ivan> My boot up takes me to the console, where I login and start
    Ivan> up X with 'startx'.  I prefer it like this: I have not
    Ivan> installed [gkx]dm or the X Window System task package.

    Ivan> I have installed both Gnome and Fluxbox and I'd like to be
    Ivan> able to run either.  How do I do this? 'startx' runs Gnome;
    Ivan> 'startx fluxbox' gets this error message:

Look at the files

/etc/alternatives/x-window-manager
/etc/alternatives/x-session-manager

and see 'man update-alternatives'. Specifically, to change these
options sitewide, you need to run 'update-alternatives --config ...'

    Ivan> /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm: bad command line option "fluxbox"

If you want to make this change just for yourself your best bet is to
create a ~/.xsession file. See the example in

/usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/examples/xsession.gz

for what is possible. Basically, just start fluxbox at the end.

    Ivan> Any comments welcome

Cheers!
Shyamal