Re: md5400 Network Problem

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 08:33:19AM +0100, Kowalski Boris wrote:

...a private reply.  Doris, the Debian Laptop list exists so that all
its members can benefit from good answers;  also so that multiple people
can help someone with a very tricky problem.  I'm cc'ing the list, which
I'm on, and I'd appreciate if the thread continues to be public.  TIA.

> Hi,
> > Good.  You should be able to spot its entry by using lspci.

I've reduced the list below to the things which relate to ethernet...

> > If its driver needs options then you can messa round with insmod until
> > you have given it options that seem to load it safely, then get those
> > established in an extra textfile in /etc/modutils.  (I like to use
> > local-servicetype, you know, ether or sound or whatever.)
> >
> > Let us know what lspci says about your card?
> -lspci
> 00:08.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139 (rev
> 10)
>
> -lsmod shows
> Module Size Used by Not tainted
[various filesystems.  you really use all of those?  The nice thing
about modules is you don't have to load them until they're needed.]
> af_packet 13416 0 (autoclean)
> nls_cp437 4380 0 (autoclean)
> agpgart 31136 0 (unused)
[audio things]
> 8139too 14664 0
> mii 1008 0 [8139too]

Well, it isn't saying here that it hates you - the module *is* loaded.
You should in fact be able to unload it and reload (with rmmod) to
see the effect repeated.

But please note that loading the module won't invoke ifconfig at the
same time; there will be more to do.

It is worth mentoning that there was more than one available module
that can handle 8139 cards;  perhaps you need the other one.

> serial 51908 0 (autoclean)
> mousedev 3864 0
[various USB things]
> ds 6472 1
> yenta_socket 8704 1
> pcmcia_core 37568 0 [ds yenta_socket]

your pcmcia looks good but it appears that your ethernet is builtin
so don't worry about this part.

> rtc 6940 0 (autoclean)
> cloop 23396 1

compressed loopback?  You running knoppix maybe?  :)

> thx Boris

Anyways, the next part is, give us the messages that happen when you
only unload and reload the 8139too module, and what ifconfig eth0 says
after that.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...
                * Starshine Technical Services -*- 800 938 4078