Re: autoselecting network config despite WEP

On Tue, 2002-12-24 at 10:38, Seth Golub wrote:
> There are a few things that change depending on which network
> I'm on. /etc/hosts, my unison config (because it seems to ignore
> /etc/hosts and go straight to DNS), and some extra things I use in
> /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts, the most crucial of which is the WEP key.
>
> To switch configurations, I manually run a script that changes a
> directory symlink, and each different setup has a directory with the
> appropriate files.
>
> I've seen a bunch of autodetection packages, but as far as I can tell,
> they all depend on having IP working already, which isn't the case if
> I haven't picked a WEP key yet.  I'm told that MACs are broadcasted in
> the clear, even when WEP is used, so we ought to be able to sniff the
> wireless traffic, notice a familiar MAC, and select based on that.
> Has anyone tried doing that?

The latest whereami has some stuff for sniffing wireless networks in
it.  It attempts to configure the WLAN to a particular SSID, waits 1
second, and then checks for that ssid with iwgetid.

This is kind of simple, and I would welcome some help extending the
handling of WLANs.  I only have the one WLAN myself, so I wrote the new
script when I was at a conference recently where there were several
more.

Cheers,
					Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for nothing with http://survey.net.nz/