autoselecting network config despite WEP

There are a few things that change depending on which network
I'm on. /etc/hosts, my unison config (because it seems to ignore
/etc/hosts and go straight to DNS), and some extra things I use in
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts, the most crucial of which is the WEP key.

To switch configurations, I manually run a script that changes a
directory symlink, and each different setup has a directory with the
appropriate files.

I've seen a bunch of autodetection packages, but as far as I can tell,
they all depend on having IP working already, which isn't the case if
I haven't picked a WEP key yet.  I'm told that MACs are broadcasted in
the clear, even when WEP is used, so we ought to be able to sniff the
wireless traffic, notice a familiar MAC, and select based on that.
Has anyone tried doing that?