Re: PCMCIA network card alias configuration

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:29:17 +0100
DevilKin <devilkin-ml@blindguardian.org> wrote:
> First part:
> ----------
> I have a pcmcia network card (3com card using the 3c575_cs driver). It
> is detected by the pcmcia packages and configured using
> /etc/network/interfaces, in which eth0 is set up accordingly.
>
> I also need an eth0:0 alias on eth0, having a different network address.
> It is configured also in /etc/network/interfaces, but I cannot seem to
> convince the pcmcia-utils to activate it aswell at bootup/activation.
>
> Is there any way I can do this?
>
> (whereami is not an option -> i need the two adresses at the same time.)

You need to edit /etc/pcmcia/network.opts, to make it use ifupdown; it
refers to it as "Debian's network setup". Basically, you need to make sure
all the variables in that file are either empty or set to "n". Why this
isn't the default, I've no idea. (Be sure not to forget the 'auto eth0:0'
line in /etc/network/intefaces).